Wednesday, March 14, 2007

USTA finally gets it (right)!

I've been away too long, I know; it's good to be back. I experienced a natural post-Australian Open malaise, which sapped me of my will to post. And then, starting a new and demanding job in January, in which I spend my day researching, writing and editing, has left me too drained to write during my evening down-time. But something occurred recently that has roused the rumpel in my stiltskin: the USTA has announced its new ad campaign approach and launch strategy for the 2007 U.S. Open Series. You know, the six-week, 10-tournament lead-up to the U.S. Open Championships in New York, also touted as "The Greatest Road Trip in Sports" by the USTA marketing execs.

What's got me fired up is the fact that the USTA marketing geniuses (a term I used derisively in a post a few months ago) have finally got it right. More to the point, they finally "get" it! If you'll recall, last year, the second year of the U.S. Open Series, the "geniuses" strained their brains to come up with an ad campaign (print and TV) that proudly touted the prize the players were competing for as $2 million and change. That's 200-plus athletes competing in 10 events over six weeks for a mere $2 million, according to the geniuses. If you heard or saw it, you probably thought, like me, that you're a lot better off keeping your lousy day job. I mean, doing the math yielded on average about $10,000 to each athlete. Some high stakes, huh?

Didn't the geniuses realize that athletes with names like Kobe Bryant and Alex Rodriguez earn that much per minute on the court and field? It was nothing short of an insult to the players and an affront to fans. What's worse, it was wrong! Yes, it was inaccurate. The geniuses had chosen, for some reason no marketeer worth his salt could ever fathom, to advertise the prize potential of only the Series point leader, should that same individual hoist the singles trophy in New York. But the actual total prize value on the line was something like $31 million. Now that figure might have turned a few heads, and earned the sport a little respect!

So it is with great pleasure (and some pride) that I can tell you that the USTA marketing geniuses have seen the error of their past ways and have redeemed themselves in 2007. Here is a snippet from the 2007 U.S. Open Series Ad Campaign article currently appearing on the USTA website:

"The campaign’s tagline - - 'The Greatest Road Trip in Sports…. 6 Weeks, 10 Tournaments, $30 Million On The Line.' - - communicates the essence of the US Open Series...".

And there you have it ... $30 million ... all is well with the world again. I'd like to think I had a hand in bringing the geniuses around, as I had written them directly in 2006 to admonish them, as well as having posted here under the title, 2006 US Open Series miscalculation. Who knows what forces move the geniuses. Whatever or whoever they are, let's hope the geniuses continue to be moved in a positive direction. Our sport needs a little boost from time to time, and the U.S. Open Series is undoubtedly the most visible (and marketable) "event" in tennis today, eclipsing even the fabled Wimbledon. That makes "The Greatest Road Trip in Sports" the perfect place for tennis to put her best foot forward. No more excuses!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This material is copyrighted and may not be reprinted or reproduced without the express written or verbal consent of the author. Thank you for your cooperation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never have done the math to figure out this miscalculation, mainly because my mind is on things in our small community. Tennis gets pretty short shrift, and I wish I could tap into the USTA's marketing efforts for places like this. We are trying to build a non profit indoor facility, but the going is tough. So, yes, the $30 million attracts my attention. However, $25,000 in this setting would REALLY get me going. Tom in Smalltown

Anonymous said...

Don,
that was great. So was the $2 million a cmpaign error? and no one noticed it? so funny.

I am glad to find your blog. I always enjoyed your accurate and very technical comments in tennis.com. Now I can read them here too. (Zola)

Don Rutledge said...

Zola,

Yes and No. It seems that it was intentional; probably the result of decision by committee and some legal eagly cautioning them too boldly that their statements could be misconstrued to imply that the U.S. Open Series points winner could get $31 mil if he/she also went on to claim the U.S. Open title. But I think that would be a sorry excuse for not putting it out there.

Here's what I do know: I wrote to the USTA, as well as to a colleague/acquaintance who at the time was the Managing Editor of Tennis Week magazine (now owned by IMG, sadly), admonsihing them for their shortsightedness and pleading with them to "fix" the campaign wih new ads and collateral, as time and monies permitted.

The USTA never adjusted their TV or print ads, but they did send out an e-mail flyer (an embedded PDF or JPG that looked just like the print ad) that had an adjusted figure. It was astonishing, and I thought: "Awesome, the geniuses have heard me!" But again, they didn't (or couldn't) make amends to their TV and print spots.

I think it was a huge oversight or error, and it made tennis look cheap and insignificant. I mean, literally, Alex Rodriguez earns about $10K every time he spits in the dirt.

If you'll make your moniker on Peter Bodo's blog point to your e-mail account, I'll forward to you the "corrected" e-mail flyer.

--Don (aka Slice-n-dice)

Anonymous said...

Don,
I did not get the ad with the e-mail though, but I will try to find it on the internet. I still can't understand why would they do something like that intentionally. Can't they say that it is the "total prize of the whole series"? But they didn't think some intelligent fan can pick their mistake! I know I didn't pay any attention but this year I will.

Since the past two days, I can't leave a comment on Steve or Pete's page and I know who is responsible for that. Until that person does not admit in the forum that she has banned my IP and gives me the reason, I won't give up. Right now I am a bit busy with my work to
follow it up seriously.

By the way, did you receive my e-mail in response to the "players' height and weight" mail? Thanks . I will check your blog more frequently. Looking forward to read your take on the Davis Cup this weekend. (Zola)